The Northwest Straits Foundation’s Shore Friendly Program hosts in-person and virtual workshops on a variety of topics about living on the shoreline. Topics include coastal processes of beaches and bluffs, vegetation and drainage management for habitat and erosion control, ecology and coastal resilience.
Follow this page to connect with upcoming events and to catch up through recordings of past workshops.
If you missed our latest virtual workshop and want to learn more about coastal processes, beaches, bluffs, and erosion, watch the video below for the recording. This workshop was held in February 2021 and content was provided by Blue Coast Engineering.
Contact Lisa Kaufman for more information.
Link here to download slides from our most recent Shoreline Landowner Vegetation Workshop featuring Ben Alexander, Owner, Sound Native Plants.
Free Shoreline Landowner Vegetation Management Workshops
Learn about how to manage your landscape for slope stability and wildlife habitat. Marine shoreline landowners are invited to these free workshops about using native vegetation to help manage erosion and drainage on shoreline properties.
Shoreline landowners in these counties are invited to attend these FREE workshops on coastal processes and shoreline erosion management using native vegetation. Marine shorelines support marine food webs and the local economy. People who live and work on shoreline properties have a large role to play in their protection and restoration. Experts will highlight the why and how of effective landscape management at this workshop designed specifically for shoreline landowners.
Workshop topics include:
- Bluff and beach processes
- Puget Sound nearshore wildlife and habitat
- Soils and the importance of drainage management
- Root strength and the role of native vegetation on a marine slope/shoreline
- Examples and recommendations for native vegetation on your property
Shore Friendly Living Workshops
Learn from experts about ways to protect your property from erosion, and alternatives to hard armoring that help prevent erosion.
This FREE workshop is for shoreline landowners who:
- Live on a bluff and want to reduce erosion, drainage, or vegetation impacts to your property
- Have a broad beach or low bank and want tips on how to protect your property while promoting healthy marine ecosystems
- Are considering installing, removing or repairing armoring on your shoreline
Workshop topics include:
- How to manage beach and bluff erosion
- Alternatives to hard shoreline armoring
- Enhancing beach access
- Native vegetation for slope stability and habitat
These workshops are made possible with funding support from the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife’s Marine Nearshore Grant Program and the Habitat Strategic Initiative and US Environmental Protection Agency. In partnership with the Marine Resources Committees of the Northwest Straits Initiative.